The other day, a patient complained about “all of a sudden having to pee frequently and a little burning sensation.” It was Saturday morning and her physician’s office was closed. So I asked her the following questions:
- Do you have any pain or other problems when you pee?
- Do you notice blood in your urine?
- Do you have pain your back or all over your bladder?
- Do you have a fever or chills?
- Does your urine look cloudy or dark or smell badly?
If she had answered “yes” to any of them, I would have asked her to go to walk-in clinic.
But when she answered “No” to all of them, I suggested she tries one of three simple remedies in case she had early symptoms of urinary tract infection:
1) Drink lots of water
2) Drink cranberry juice
3) Take vitamin C
The patient called back and said she tried all three and they made her feel better. Mission accomplished.