By: Vishal Mehta, BPharm, RPh
Keeping safe and healthy ensures that we will enjoy the holiday season. Here are some tips to help:
- Wash your hands thoroughly and teach younger members of the family to do the same. That means using soap and clean water and washing for at least 20 seconds.
- Dressing appropriately to keep comfortable by staying dry and warm. Layering works best i.e. wearing multiple light layers. Don’t forget gloves, hats, and scarves to complete your outfit.
- Stay sober on the road; do not to drink and drive and help others do the same.
- Ensure you are up-to-date on your vaccinations — particularly for the flu and Covid. They are proven to be most effective at preventing the spread of infections, especially during the holidays when more people congregate.
- Prevent fires. Statistically, most residential fires occur during winter months. Be careful not to leave fireplaces, space heaters, and food (cooking on stoves) unattended. Ensure all your fire-alarms are in working order, replace the batteries if needed.
- Prepare your meals safely. There is bound to be lots of cooking during the holiday season. Washing produce thoroughly, keeping your hands and cutting surfaces clean, and cooking foods to correct temperatures help ensure food safety for all. Extra care should be taken when reheating left-over or prepared meals and refrigerating prepared meals correctly.