By: Vishal Mehta, B.Pharm, RPh
Every family has a secret remedy that’s been passed down through generations. Whether it’s chicken soup for colds or onions juice for ear infections, we like home remedies because they remind us of our mothers and grandmothers. They’re also accessible and sometimes effective.
But, what home remedies are credible and worth trying? Here is a list I recommend because they have some studies behind them. However, I urge you to always consult with your doctor, nurse practitioner or pharmacist to ensure nothing impacts the efficacy of your current prescriptions.
- Turmeric – lessens osteoarthritis pain
- Ginger – helps nausea and vomiting
- Sex – increases mental awareness, improves heart health, and relieves stress
- Green Tea – awakens and alertness
- Garlic – lowers cholesterol
- Chicken Soup – frees nasal fluids which makes you feel better sooner
- Hot Bath – increases blood flow helps you to stretch
- Ice Pack – reduces pain and swelling within 48 hours after injury
- Petroleum Jelly – moisturizes and prevents chafing
Home remedies are not always harmless; too much ginger, for example, can cause an upset stomach. Once again, always consult your doctor, nurse practitioner or pharmacist.