By: Peter Yurek, Chief Entertainment Officer
Have you heard the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine”? It is true! While it is fun to share a laugh, humour can also improve your physical and mental health, as well as enhance your social relationships.
- Boosts immunity by increasing immune cells and antibodies.
- Lowers stress hormones.
- Decreases pain through the release of endorphins.
- Relaxes your muscles by relieving physical tension.
- Prevents heart disease by increasing blood flow and improving the function of blood vessels.
- May even burn some calories and increase your lifespan.
- Adds joy and zest to life.
- Eases anxiety and tension since you can’t feel sad, worried, or angry when you laugh.
- Relieves stress and increases energy so you stay focussed and accomplish more.
- Improves mood by creating positive feelings.
- Strengthens resilience by helping you keep a positive, optimistic outlook.
- Bolsters relationships by adding joy, vitality and resilience.
- Attracts others to us because laughter is contagious.
- Enhances teamwork by triggering positive feelings.
- Helps defuse conflict by healing resentments, disagreements and hurts.
- Promotes group bonding by fostering emotional connection.
Need to add more humour and laughter to your life?
- Begin with smiling more. It is contagious.
- Count your blessings.
- Seek out laughter and find out what is so funny.
- Surround yourself with photos or items that make you smile.
- Spend time with people who laugh easily.
- Bring humour into conversations. Retell jokes and funny stories.
- Remember to laugh at yourself.
- Don’t dwell on negative situations.
- Find your inner child.
- Don’t go a day without laughing.
Laughter can heal many hurts and it is fun, free and easy to use! Next time you are feeling overwhelmed with life, try a little humour to lighten your load, brighten your way and improve your health!