By: Diane Alavie, Pharmacist
Living with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia during the pandemic can be challenging. Here are some helpful tips for caregivers.
- Be calm, patient and reassuring when explaining Covid-19.
- Ensure your loved ones are vaccinated along with everyone they encounter.
- Monitor carefully for any symptoms of illness, especially increased confusion.
- Follow all health care protocols, such as PPE (especially masks), rapid testing and social distancing.
- Thoroughly demonstrate 20-second hand washing, post visual reminders or set timers and provide 60% or higher alcohol-based hand sanitizer, when unable to use soap and water.
- Always disinfect frequently touched surfaces, wash hands often and avoid touching your face.
- Plan for the unexpected such as cancellations of events or support personnel or even primary caregiver illness by making lists of important information and contacts.
- Arrange for home delivery of groceries, medications and other necessary supplies.
- Use technology to keep connected to family, friends and neighbours.
- When visiting a person in LTC or hospital, follow all protocols and be vigilant about any possible symptoms you may exhibit and inform immediately if any symptoms appear after the visit.