Effective Date: March 10, 2014
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES YOUR RIGHTS AND HOW YOUR PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED BY YUREK PHARMACY LTD., YUREK SPECIALTIES LIMITED AND YUREK HOME HEALTHCARE.
PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY
Personal Health Information and Privacy
Yurek Pharmacy, Yurek Specialties and Yurek Home Healthcare understand that medical information about you and your health is personal. Yurek’s is required by law to maintain the privacy of your health information, to follow the terms of this notice, and to provide you with this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your health information.
Who Can Use and See Your Personal Health Information
Yurek’s protects the privacy of your health information. For some activities it is necessary to obtain your written or verbal authorization to use or disclose your health information. However, the law permits Yurek’s to use or disclose your health information for the following purposes without your authorization:
- For Treatment:
Information obtained by Yurek’s will be used to dispense prescriptions to you. Yurek’s may disclose health information about you to pharmacists and patients own Healthcare Professionals as related to their prescriptions.
Yurek’s may use and disclose your health information so that your pharmacy services may be invoiced (billed) to, and payment may be collected from you, and your insurance company or other third party payors.
- For Health Care Operations:
Yurek’s may use and disclose health information about you for pharmacy operations. Unless you provide us with alternative instructions, Yurek Pharmacy may send refill reminders and other materials related to your healthcare to your residence. These uses and disclosures are necessary to run the pharmacy and assure that you receive quality customer service and healthcare.
- To Avert Serious Threat to Health or Safety:
Yurek’s may use and disclose health information about you when necessary to prevent a serious threat to your health and safety (e.g. request from hospital emergency personnel) or the health and safety of the public or another person. Disclosure is limited to only someone who is able to help prevent or treat the threat.
- Public Health Risks:
Yurek’s may disclose health information about you for public health activities. These activities are generally confined to the following:
- a) To prevent or control disease, injury or disability;
- b) To report reactions to medications or problems with products;
- c) To notify customers of recalls of products they may be using;
- d) To notify a person who may be exposed to a disease or may be at risk of contracting a disease or condition; and,
- e) To notify the appropriate public authority if Yurek’s believes the person has been a victim of abuse, neglect or domestic violence as required by law
- For Health Oversight Activities:
Yurek’s may disclose health information to a health oversight agency for activities authorized by law. These activities, which are necessary for the government to monitor the health care system, include audits, investigations, inspections and licensure.
- Lawsuits and Disputes:
If a customer is involved in a lawsuit or dispute, Yurek’s may disclose health information about the customer in response to a court order or administrative order. Yurek’s may also disclose health information about customers in response to a subpoena, discovery request, or other lawful process as dictated by law.
- For Specific Government Functions:
Yurek’s may disclose health information for the following specific government functions:
- a) Health information of military personnel, as required by military command authorities.
- b) Health information of inmates, to a correctional institution or law enforcement official.
- c) In response to a request from law enforcement (if certain conditions are satisfied).
- d) For national security reasons.
If you do authorize Yurek’s to use or disclose your health information for another purpose, you may modify or revoke your authorization in writing at any time by contacting your Yurek pharmacist.
Your Rights and Choices:
You, or a person who can make decisions for you about your personal health information, have the right:
- To request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of your health information. Yurek’s is not required to agree to a restriction that you request. If Yurek’s agrees to any restriction(s), the customer will put the agreement in writing and Yurek’s will follow it, except in emergency situations. Yurek’s cannot agree to limit the uses or disclosures of information that are required by law.
- To inspect and copy your health information as long as Yurek’s maintains the health information. Your health information usually will include prescription and billing records. To inspect or copy your health information, you may be required to submit a written request to the Yurek’s store location that provides your services. Yurek’s may bill for any cost(s) of copying, mailing or other supplies that are necessary to grant your request.
- To request that Yurek’s amend your health information that is incorrect or incomplete. To request an amendment, it may be required to submit a written request to the servicing pharmacy location, along with the reason for the request. Yurek’s is not required to amend health information that is accurate and complete. Yurek’s will provide you with information about the procedure for addressing any disagreement with a denial.
Who You Can Speak to About Your Decisions:
If you would like to exercise one or more of these rights, contact the pharmacy or submit a written request to:
Yurek Pharmacy Ltd.
519 Talbot Street
St. Thomas ON N5P 1C3
Telephone: 519-631-3330 or 1-866-631-3330
Other Important Information:
For More Information or to Report a Problem:
Information and Privacy Commissioner / Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto ON N4W 1A8
Telephone: 416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073
Fax: 416-325-9195 TTY: 416-325-7539
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
112 Kent Street
Ottawa ON K1A 1H3
Telephone: 613-995-8210 or 1-800-282-1376